- PrestaShop 1.4 installed on a server with
mod_rewriteenabled (Apache only).
- A local XAMPP server with PHP5.
About CRUD & REST
CRUD is an acronym that stands for "Create, Read, Update, Delete". These are the four basic operations for managing data in an application.
The PrestaShop web service uses the REST architecture in order to be available on as many platforms as possible, since HTTP and XML protocols are present on countless platforms.
REST defines an architecture that represents a set of good methods to practice on the web. It defines several rules, including one that we will describe that is similar to CRUD.
In HTTP, there are 4 main methods that can perform processing on data that are defined in the REST architecture. This correspondence can also be done with CRUD and SQL:
About this tutorial
Together, we will look at how to create a small application to perform these four operations on our customers.
Chapter 1 - Introduction: Creating Access to Back Office
Chapter 2 - Discovery: Testing access to the web service with the browser
Chapter 3 - First steps: Access the Web service and list client
Chapter 3.1 - Access the web service through the bookstore
Chapter 3.2 - Handling errors
Chapter 3.3 - List clients
Chapter 4 - Retrieve Data: Retrieving a client
Chapter 5 - Modification: Update client
Chapter 6 - Creation: Remote Online Form
Chapter 7 - Removal: Remove customer accounts from the database
Chapter 8 - Advanced Use
Download the PDF Version of this tutorial.
A handy reminder of the concepts outlined in this tutorial, download the cheat-sheet.
Web service library
- Manage your PrestaShop website through Open ERP: Prestashop OpenERP Connector by Akretion & CampToCamp (GNU Affero GPLv3)
- A Scala library to access the PrestaShop web service: prestasac by Alex Dean (GNU Affero GPLv3)
- A Python library to access the PrestaShop web service: prestapyt by Guewen Baconnier (GNU Affero GPLv3)
Web service library
The latest version of the PSWebServiceLibrary.php file can be found on our code repository: https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-webservice-lib/blob/master/PSWebServiceLibrary.php
To download the file:
- Click here to view the raw file: https://raw.github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-webservice-lib/master/PSWebServiceLibrary.php
- Copy/paste the file into an empty text local file, using for instance Notepad.
- Save the file as
You can also directly download a zip archive of all the files in this repository, including the example files, by clicking here: https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-webservice-lib/archive/master.zip
All the example files can be found on our code repository: https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-webservice-lib/tree/master/examples