|Table of Contents|
Introducción a la página producto
Para crear un nuevo producto, desde la página "Catálogo" haga clic en "Nuevo producto" (o utilice el atajo de teclado CTRL + P): Abrirá la denominada página producto, donde puede crear nuevos productos o editar los existentes.
En PrestaShop 1.7, la página del producto está organizada en pestañas:
- Ajustes básicos: contiene todo lo que necesita para crear un producto de manera rápida y fácil. Sin embargo, si necesita añadir más detalles a su producto, debe echar un vistazo a las otras pestañas.
- Cantidades, Combinaciones o Producto virtual: defina las cantidades del producto y otras opciones relacionadas con el stock. Cuando su producto tenga combinaciones, la pestaña se renombrará a Combinaciones. Aquí es donde se administran todas sus combinaciones. Por otro lado, si tiene un producto virtual, aquí es donde debe subir el archivo asociado, si lo hay.
- Transporte: ofrezca detalles que pueden tener un impacto en la entrega del producto.
- Precios: refine sus precios mediante precios específicos o precio por unidad (entre otras opciones de precios disponibles).
- SEO: administre la meta descripción o URL del producto para asegurarse de que se encuentran optimizadas para los motores de búsqueda.
- Opciones: funciones adicionales para gestionar la visibilidad de su producto, referencias específicas, archivos adjuntos o proveedores. También es aquí donde puede establecer la personalización.
Nombre del producto
El primer campo a rellenar es el nombre del producto, que aparecerá en los resultados de los motores de búsqueda y en la URL de la hoja del producto de forma predeterminada. Junto al campo encontrará un selector de idioma, que le permite elegir el idioma en el que desea editar o crear el producto.
Debe dar un nombre al producto en al menos el idioma por defecto utilizado en su tienda antes de poder guardarlo. No podrá guardar el producto hasta que no le asigne un nombre.
Asegúrese de traducir cada campo en todos los idiomas disponibles en su tienda.Para ello, haga clic en el selector de idioma situado junto al campo del tipo de producto, y seleccione el idioma en el que desea editar el texto del producto.
Tipo de producto
Esta segunda opción es esencial: indica si el producto es un pack de productos (una combinación de al menos dos productos existentes), un producto virtual (archivo descargable, servicio, etc.), o simplemente un producto clásico que se envía por correo. Por ahora, sólo analizaremos el producto clásico, y trataremos los packs de productos y productos virtuales en próximas secciones de este capítulo.
Es posible que haya habilitado varios idiomas en su tienda, para vender en más países. If you wish to engage with your customers abroad, todo el contenido de su tienda (descripción del producto, captions, etc.) deben traducirse en esos idiomas.
To add new languages to your shop, go to the International section. You can either add just a language in "Translations" or add a localization pack in "Localization". You will find more information in the international section of the documentation.
- Sales. Redirects you to the "Product detail" page of the statistics dashboard ("Stats" menu), which gives you a graphic of both the visits to this product's page, and also its sales.
- Product list. New in PrestaShop 1.7. Displays a list of all your products to allow you to quickly navigate from a product to another.
- Help. Opens the contextual help in a column, with the page from the User Guide corresponding to the product page.
Some keyboard shortcuts have been introduced in PrestaShop 1.7 to help you save time when you create several products in a row. The behavior is the same as described above, and it works for the following options:
Creating a product
The product page, which has been redesigned in PrestaShop 1.7, makes it easier to create a product thanks to enhanced tabs.
The "Basic Settings" tab provides the main options required to create a basic product: in a few clicks you'll be able to create a new product. From there you can also browse the other tabs to add further details to your product.
The image section is on the top-left part of the "Basic settings" tab. You should upload all the images for this product, including all of its combinations (color, size, shape, etc.).
To add one or more images to your product:
Drag and drop your images directly from your folder, or click on "select files" (or anywhere in the image section in fact) to search and open the folder containing your images. You can select as many images as necessary by keeping the Ctrl-key pressed while selecting files, or you can make your selection one by one. The default maximal size for an image file is set by PrestaShop according to your server's PHP settings. This size can be lowered in the "Images" preference page, "Product images" section.
The uploaded images appear as thumbnails. The first one will be your default/cover image for the product. That cover image will also appear automatically on the product page of your shop.
You can change which image is your cover image by clicking on the image's thumbnail: the settings for this given image will appear. There you can check or uncheck "Cover image" to define whether the image should be the cover or not.
Zoom and Caption
When you click on "Zoom" the image will appear in its real format, in case you want to have a closer look at it.
Each image can have a caption: use it to briefly describe the image (and the product). If you have several languages, don't forget to translate it!
Once you have uploaded all your product images, you can modify their order by drag-and-dropping each image. You can also add more images by clicking on the "+" icon, or dropping it.
Summary and Description
Describing your product well is essential, both for the customer (the more information, the better) and search engines (it will help your shop appear in more search requests).
- The "Summary" field enables you to write a short description that will appear in search engines and in the description for your product.
This field is limited to 400 characters by default: if you exceed that limit, PrestaShop will warn you with a message in red below the field. You can change that limit in the "Products" preference page, where you will find the "Max size of product summary" option.
- The "Description" field enables you to write a full description of your product, which will appear directly on the product page. The text editor offers a wide range of options for creating visually attractive descriptions (font, size, text color, etc.).
While this second field has no limits, there is such thing as too much content: strive to provide the essential information in a compelling way, and your product should be good to go.
Below the product descriptions, you can several options. The "Add a feature" option is for specifying your products' features (i.e. weight, material, country of origin, etc.).
Be aware that contrary to the combinations, these values do not change, and are valid for the general product (meaning: all your combinations will share these same features).
Adding a feature
Before adding a feature to a product, you must create it for general use in your shop. You should go to the "Attributes & Features" page of the "Catalog" menu for this.
Feature and feature value creation are explained in details in the dedicated section of the guide.
Assigning a value to a feature
We will assume here that you have already set all your features and feature values.
Remember: If a feature does not have any value assigned to it, it will not be taken into account for this product, and will not be visible on your shop.
The same way you can add a feature, you can add a brand. Click on "Add a brand" and choose a brand in the dropdown menu.
A product can only be associated with one brand.
The "Add a related product" field gives you the option of choosing relevant products to associate with this product, to suggest them to your customers when they visit the product's page (if the theme supports it). Click on "Add a related product", type in the first letters of product and select it. The product is then added at the bottom of the field.
You can associate a product with as many other products as you deem necessary. Click on the trash icon to delete the product association.
An association goes one way only: the associated product will not feature an association to the current product in its setting page.
You will often sell the same product under different versions: they share the same overall name, but they might differ by their color, their capacity, their screen size, and other attributes. Most of the time, these attributes come together: you could have the red version of the product available with either 1 Gb capacity or 2 Gb, or with 12'' screen or a 15'' screen. This is why PrestaShop calls these versions "combinations": your stock of products can be made of several variations of a single product, which in effect are simply its attributes combined in specific ways.
To find out about Combinations, read the dedicated section at the end of this chapter.
Indicate how many products are available for sale.
More quantity options are available in the "Quantity tab".
Define how much you want to sell this product.
Tax rules can be managed in the "International" menu, "Taxes" page.
The "Categories" section enables you to select in which category the product should appear. You can select more than one, but keep in mind that it is better for the customer if the category only contains equivalent and comparable products. Therefore, you should prevent from selecting root categories, and prefer child categories.
For instance, the "telephone" category can feature sub-categories of "brands" (Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc.) and as well as "characteristics" (dual sim, Android, etc.). It is up to you to indicate the category most useful to your customers.
Associating existing categories
To associate a category to your product, you can either use the search bar, or expand the category list and select the one you want to associate.
In the list of associated categories, if you mouse over a specific category, you will see the path leading to the category. It can be helpful if you have several categories with the same name (like "Shoes" which can be under "Children" and "Women" categories).
The "main category" selector is useful when an article is filed under several categories. It serves mainly to clarify which category to use in case your customer arrives at your site from a search engine, since the name of the category will appear in the product's URL.
Creating a new category
If you feel you need to add a category, save the current state of your product before clicking the "Create new category" button.
However, you should keep reading, as there are many more details you can add to your product to make it more attractive to customers!
Product quantities are managed in a single tab. PrestaShop will use this to determine when a product is soon out-of-stock or unavailable anymore.
For a standard product you only have two fields:
- Quantity. Define how many products are for sale. It is the same value as the one in "Basic settings".
- Minimum quantity for sale. You might prefer this product to be sold in bulk. Use this field to set the number of items to be sold in bulk. It means customer will be able to purchase this product only when they reach this minimum quantity.
Product with Combinations
The way it works is quite easy: the page presents you with a table of all the combinations for the current product (if there are no combinations, the table simply has a single row). It is up to you to set the initial stock for all the combinations.
For more information on product combinations, read the dedicated section at the end of the page.
|Packs and virtual product have different stock settings, you will find all you need at the end of this chapter.|
Out of stock behavior
The "Behavior when out of stock" option enables you to set PrestaShop behavior when the product is out of stock:
- Deny orders (the product is not available for sale anymore).
- Allow order (in essence, you are doing pre-sales).
- Use default behavior (Deny orders). This third and default option simple uses the global default setting ("Preferences" menu, "Products" page, "Product Stock" section, "Allow ordering of out-of-stock products" option).
- Label when in-stock. Enables you to display a message to your visitors when your product is in stock, for example "Item available". It reassures them that your shop can immediately send them the product.
- Label when out of stock and back-order active. Enables you to display a message to your visitors when your product is out of stock but they can still order it (as set using the "When out of stock" selector), for example "Pre-order now!". It reassures them that your shop will send them the product immediately once it is in stock.
- Availability date. Indicate when the product will be back in stock.
You can also configure the general settings applied to all of your products: the default option is to deny orders, but this can be modified under the "Products Settings" in the "Shop Parameters section" ("Allow ordering of out-of-stock products" option).
The "Shipping" tab enables you to give some precious details about your product's package. It isn't available in the case of a virtual product.
Package dimension (width, height, depth & weight). You should strive to fill each field, because knowing the exact size and weight of a package is not only useful to you, but PrestaShop can also direct specific sizes/weights to specific carriers automatically, based on these settings. The order's final price will appear to the customer once PrestaShop (or the customer) has selected a carrier.
These values use the default weight, volume, distance and dimension units, as set in the "Localization" page of the "Localization" menu.
These values do not have to be integers. If your products weight less than 1 lbs, you can simply use a period (.) to indicate the fractions:
- 123 lbs
- 1.23 lbs
- 0.23 lbs (equals 3.68 oz)
- Shipping fees (Additional shipping fees). This can prove very useful to you for specific products that are particularly tricky to package, or really heavy.
- Available carriers. You can choose to have the current product only be shipped by a selection of carriers. If no carrier is selected then all the carriers will be available for customer orders.
The pricing tab makes it possible to refine your pricing strategy, either by using alternative prices (price per unit), or by creating some price rules specific to the product.
The price of your product before taxes.
You can fill out the "Price - tax excluded" field and choose the tax rate to apply, and the field will automatically calculate the retail price with taxes. The opposite operation is also available.
Enter the price you paid for the product (how much it cost you to acquire or manufacture the product), it will allow you to compare it to your selling price in order to easily calculate your profit.
The cost price should be lower than your retail price.
Specific prices: Managing Discounts
You can change the total price of the product depending on the quantity of products your customer buys, the user group, the country, etc. This is done with the "Specific prices" section of the "Pricing" tab. Click on the "Add a specific price" button to reveal the creation form:
If you want to build more complex discounts, go read about the "Discounts" menu in the "Managing Discounts" chapter of this guide.
A customer might fit into multiple prices or discount rules, even when you have set detailed prices and quantity discounts, with custom groups and shops (if in a multistore context). PrestaShop therefore uses a set of priorities in order to apply a single price rule to such customers. You might want the user group to be more important than the currency, for instance.
A checkbox at the bottom enables you to update the settings for all products. If the checkbox remains unchecked, then your changes only apply to the current product.
To improve your product listing as well as increase your store's visibility we suggest that you carefully fill out the various SEO fields: meta titles, meta descriptions, and keywords and friendly URLs.
To access the product's SEO information, go to the "SEO" tab.
Search Engine Optimization
The fields in this page enable you to directly optimize your catalog's visibility on search engines.
Friendly URLs will only work if URL rewriting is enabled. You can do this in "SEO & URLs" preference page (in the "Traffic" menu), in its "Set up URLs" section.
You will find more information on the "SEO & URLs" preference page in the "Traffic" chapter of this guide.
When your product is offline, its product page will no longer available on your shop. You have to decide what you want to show to your visitors instead:
- No redirection (404). This will display a "404 error - Not found" page.
- Permanent redirection (301). This will permanently redirect the visitor to another product page. The current URL of your product page will no longer be indexed by search engines: it will be replaced by the URL of the product page of your choice. Choose which product page you would like to display instead. Remember, this is permanent, so make sure you don't need this URL anymore before activating the 301 redirection!
- Temporary redirection (302. This is a temporary redirection to another product page. Choose which product page you would like to display instead. Search engines will still index the product page URL, so you can reuse it later easily, should you reactivate the product, for example.
The "Options" tab provides additional settings to manage product references, suppliers, product customization, visibility and files.
You can choose to have the product available through different channels:
- Available for order. If you uncheck this box, customers will not be able to add this product to their cart. This makes it more like a single-product Catalog mode (in comparison with the "Catalog mode" preference).
- Show price. If the "available for order" option above is unchecked, you can either choose to display the product's price nevertheless (even though visitors won't be able to buy it), or choose to not display it.
- Web only (not sold in your retail store). If your business does have brick-and-mortar stores, this option will prove invaluable when a product is only sold online, not in store – this prevents customers from checking a product price online, then come to your store hoping to buy it directly, and thus avoid shipping cost.
Tags are terms and keywords that will help your customers easily find what they are looking for. When they use the search bar to browse your catalog, they will type some specific keywords. Choose the most relevant keywords to your product, to make sure the product shows in results when a visitor search for it.
Products tags are not the same as page keywords: they have no direct impact on search engine placement.
Condition & References
Condition. Not all shops sell new product and some marketplaces require this information from you. This option enables you to indicate the condition of the product:
- Reference code. This is your own internal reference. It might be a number, or its reference from the storage location or its supplier, or anything that makes it unique.
- ISBN. ISBN is used internationally to identify books and their various editions. If your products are books or entitled to have an ISBN number, enter it here.
- UPC barcode. This standard for barcodes is mostly used in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand.
- EAN-13 or JAN barcode. These are the numbers of the product's barcode, which are used worldwide in order to identify it. You can use either an EAN-13 or a JAN number.
- An EAN-13 is the product's 13-digit international article number. Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Article_Number_%28EAN%29.
- A JAN is specific to Japan, but is compatible with the international EAN. Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Article_Number.
PrestaShop makes it possible for your customers to customize the product that they will buy.
Once all the label fields have been filled, do not forget to save your changes.
On the customer's side
Once a product has customizable properties set, its front-end product page has a new blockb, below the description: "Product customization".
The rest of the purchase process is the same as usual.
On the merchant's side
Once the order has been validated by the customer, the merchant gets a notification of the order in the back office.
The rest of the order and delivery process is the same as usual.
Attaching a file
PrestaShop enables you to make some files available to your customers before their purchase.
For example, let's say you sell electronics, and you would like to urge your customers to read a document on how a product works. You can upload a document for that purpose.
You could also simply have the product's PDF manual directly available for download right on the product page. The customer can access it even if they didn't purchase the product.
If you already uploaded some files to be attached, you will see here the list of the files available to be attached to the product. Simply select the file you want to attach to the product.
Attach a new file
If you haven't attached any file yet, you can upload a new file directly on this page:
You can view all of your store's attached files, add some more and remove some, by going to the "Files" page under the "Catalog" menu. This also makes it possible to use the files that you already uploaded for other products: if you need to apply the associated one file with many products, you will thus only have to upload it once.
Indicating the product's supplier is not really important to your customers (very much less so than its brand in any case), but it may turn out to be an essential part of your own internal management, not the least when managing your stock: you simply need to know who you bought the product from. The supplier of the current product is to be set from the "Suppliers" section of the "Options" tab.
You cannot use this feature if you do not already have at least one supplier registered in your shop. Suppliers are created from the "Brands & Suppliers" page, under the "Catalog" menu.
The complete supplier registration process is explained in details in a dedicated chapter of this guide.
Associating the current product with one or more suppliers is really easy: simply check the box corresponding to the supplier, and save your changes.
The supplier's section also features a table that enables you to set the precise reference and unit price/currency for each product combination, per supplier. If the product has more than one supplier, the table will display each supplier one after the other.
Anchor Combinations Combinations
Creating a product with combinations
To enable product combinations, you must first choose the "Product with combinations" option from the "Basic Settings" tab. You will see the "Quantities" tab change to "Combinations", and this is where you will be able to manage your product combinations.
How your product attributes are combined into combinations is up to you, and PrestaShop gives you two methods to achieve this.
This method helps you create combinations one after the other. Therefore, it is to be reserved to either products with few combinations, or products with very specific combinations that can't be created reliably using the automatic method (see next section).
3. The combination will appear in a table below.
If you have too many different products versions or varieties, you can use the "Product Combinations Generator." This tool allows you to automatically generate all of the combinations and possibilities.
For a single combination, you can edit its quantity directly in the table, edit it (by clicking on the pencil icon) or delete it (with the trash icon).
When you have several combinations available, you should choose which combinations will be the default combination. It will be the combination your customers see when they arrive on the product sheet. If they want to purchase another combination, they will have to select it themselves (by either changing the color, size or any attribute you may have).
Editing a combination
Each combination can be further managed by clicking on the edit icon. It will open a small window when you can change the details for this specific combination.
- go to the previous or next combination to edit it as well, by clicking on "prev. combination" or "next combination"
- go back to the product by clicking on "back to product" at the end of the page
You can change the details for all or several combinations at once.
When you have set all of the combination's details, save your product changes using the "Save and stay" button. Your combination will appear in the attributes list at the bottom of the screen.
Creating a virtual product
Your shop may feature (partly or exclusively) virtual products – that is, products that are not shipped, but rather downloaded: entertainment tickets, e-books/PDF files, real-life services...
PrestaShop makes it easy for you to create a virtual product.
The process to do this is similar to the one for creating a simple product:
- Go to the "Products" page, under the "Catalog" menu.
- Click the "New product" button.
- Next to the product name, change the product type to "Virtual Product".
The page organization will change:
- The "Quantities" tab becomes "Virtual Product".
- The "Shipping" tab disappears.
The "Virtual Product" tab only features one option at first: it asks if the virtual product you are creating has a file attached (i.e., if your customer will pay to download something).
- If not, leave it at that: you are selling a service, and nothing needs to be downloaded.
- If yes, click the "Yes" option.
When you click "Yes", PrestaShop opens a new form within the tab, from which you can upload the file you intend to sell:
File. Click the "Browse" button to find the file on your hard drive. As soon as you have selected a file, the upload begins.
The maximum file-upload size setting depends on your server's settings, and cannot be increased from PrestaShop.
If you have access to your server's
php.inifile, these are the values you should change:
upload_max_filesize = 20M
post_max_size = 20M
If you do not have access to the
php.inifile, contact your web host about this.
- Filename. The name of the file. This field is automatically filled after the file has been uploaded. It is not recommended to change it to another value.
You should compress your file in zip format, in order to avoid the browser misinterpreting
.jpgfile formats. Browsers automatically download zip files for the customer, no question asked.
If you are selling a high resolution image, uploading it using this form does not prevent you from uploading its thumbnail in the "Images" tab on the left.
- Number of allowed downloads. You can set the number of time the file can be downloaded once the customer has bought it. You might prefer to limit this to 1, or 5. If you want to keep it unlimited, set the text field to 0.
- Expiration date. Virtual files can be of promotional nature, or lose their selling value after a certain date. If so, you can set the expiry date after which the product will not be available on your shop anymore. Leave it blank if there is no expiry date.
- Number of days. You can set the number of days after which the download link becomes non-functioning. If there is no limit, set the text field to 0.
Once you are done with the "Virtual Product" tab, you can edit all the other available tabs as if you would for a regular product.
Creating a pack of products
You may wish to sell a pack of products made of several items. I.e.: a computer start-up pack composed of the computer itself, a monitor, and a printer. PrestaShop makes it easy for you to create a "pack" product and add other products from your catalog to this pack.
- In "Basic settings" you can choose which products are part of the pack
- In "Quantities" you can select how stocks should be handled.
Adding products to your pack
- The first field is used to search for products that are already registered in your shop.
- The second field is used to indicate the quantity of chosen product should be added to the pack.
- The button adds the product to the pack.
You can remove a product from the pack simply by clicking the trashcan icon when you hover on it.
Managing pack quantities
When you are creating a pack of products, PrestaShop needs to know how to handle the stock. In the "Quantities" tab, under "Pack quantities", you must choose one of the following options: