PrestaShop, an e-commerce solution used by more than 40,000 stores, enables you to simply and effectively create a retail website.
PrestaShop offers a very powerful Back Office system that permits you to manage your store (catalog, purchase history, shipping rates, customers, items in shopping carts ) in real time Your customers will profit from a user-friendly store styled and customized by you.
PrestaShop presents a comprehensive, intuitive user administration panel, and gives you more than 200 standard functions that can be adapted or personalized in order to respond to all of your needs.
This user guide will help you familiarize yourself with all of PrestaShop’s features. You will also be able to efficiently manage your PrestaShop boutique.
You can post all of your questions directly on our forum, http://www.prestashop.com/forums/
This PrestaShop guide is intended to be a practical companion to the PrestaShop software. If you would like to learn even more, PrestaShop offers three different training sessions. They are available for anyone who wishes to perfect and to master the PrestaShop software.
We offer three various courses, contingent on you needs and expertise:
- Basic User Course to master everyday uses of PrestaShop and to familiarize yourself with all of the features of the software. It is aimed at retailers who manage their online shops with PrestaShop. Length of Training : Half a day.
- Development Course to gain a perfect understanding of PrestaShop’s software architecture and to autonomously execute specific features. Length of Training : 2 days
- Integration Course to master the layout of a PrestaShop online store and to learn the nuances of integrating a draft. Length of Training : 2 days
If you would like to receive further information and the requirements of participation, please address your training questions to: [email protected]
Connecting to the PrestaShop back-office
At the install process, the PrestaShop installer asked you to change the name of your administration folder, from /admin to something unique to your shop, for security reasons (for instance, /admin789). Use that folder name to access your shop, for instance http://myshop.com/admin789). You will see the login page for your store's control panel.
Enter the e-mail address and password that your registered with when you installed PrestaShop. Click "Log In", and you will be taken to the back-office welcome page, or your store's control panel.
From this step onward, you can begin to configure your store and offer products to your customers.
Discovering and Configuring the PrestaShop Back Office
The PrestaShop Back Office welcome page is made up of three different areas.
- Navigation: Groups together all of the tabs indicating the different sections of your store.
- The Dashboard: Displays all of your store’s important information such as the number of orders sales completed, etc.
- PrestaShop Live Feed: Information PrestaShop software updates or other news. We advise you to check this section regularly in order to keep your store up-to-date with PrestaShop’s new features Back Office Welcome Page
Now take your first look at your Back Office, or the "Control Panel." Tabs situated at the top of the window help you navigate within the Back Office.
Managing Your Catalog
The "Catalog" section is accessible by clicking on the tab with the same name. This is where you manage all of your products throughout your PrestaShop e-commerce solution.
The first page under the “Catalog” tab looks like this
In the “Categories” section via the “Add a new subcategory” function you can create different product classifications. This arranges your articles, and helps your customers easily find what they are looking for. All of the categories are subcategories of the welcome page.
Create a Category
To create a category, fill out this form:
First of all give your category a name then determine if it is “displayed ” or in other words if it will be accessible to your customers or not. For example, you may want to postpone showing a new category to your customers because you have not quite completed it. If you are creating a subcategory belonging to a category other than the welcome page, choose the category under which it will appear in the drop-down menu “Parent Category.” Click on “Browse” to upload an image from your computer, in order to illustrate your category.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Fields
This information will help you optimize the visibility of your catalog on search engines.
- “Meta title” is the title that will appear on the search engines when a request is made by a customer
- “Meta description” is a presentation of your site in just a few lines, intended to capture a customer’s interest It will appear in search results
- “Meta Keywords” are keywords that you must define in order to have your site referenced by search engines. You can enter several of them, separated by commas, as well as expressions, which must be indicated in quotation marks.
- The “Friendly URL” enables you to rewrite the addresses of your categories as you wish.
For example, instead of having an address such as
you can have:http://www.mystore.prestashop.com/123-name-of-the-category
In this case, all you would need to do is indicate in the field marked “Friendly URL” the words that you wish to see appear instead of “name-of-the-category” separated by dashes.
- “Groups access” restricts select categories and products from certain shoppers. To see these categories, your shoppers must belong to a user group. Check out the group functions in the Customers tab for more information.
Once you have finished configuring your categories you can save them while staying on the same page by clicking on the button “Save” or saving and coming back to the previous category by clicking on “Save and Back to Parent Category".
Note: Each of the fields has a flag located to its right, indicating that it can be configured in several languages. For more information on this feature, please see the language management feature.
Managing and Adding Products in the Catalog
At the bottom of the catalog page, under “Products in this category” you can manage the products in your store. See the screen shot below. Once you have created your category, you will be able to add products by clicking on “ dd a new product ” form with several tabs will appear We will ex plain it step by step.
We begin with the first tab in the form, which enables you to fill out the general information about your products.
Fill out the general product information
The first thing to complete is the product information. This is the name that will appear in the search results. Next to the field you will find a flag, which enables you to choose the language into which you wish to edit or create the name.
If you don’t want this product to be immediately available or visible to your customers, check the box that says “Disable.”
The “Manufacturer” field enables you to enter the name of the manufacturer of the product. This is an optional field.
Click “create” next to the Manufacturer field to add a new manufacturer, or select from the drop-down menu which one to associate with this product.
You can add information to better manage your item listing in the fields “Reference”, “Supplier reference”, “EAN13 or JAN”, "UPC" or “Location”.
You can also indicate the size of the final package.
Finally, add the weight in order to calculate the shipping cost of your customer’s orders
Create a Pack of Products
You wish to sell a pack of products composed of several items. Example: a computer start-up pack, composed of a CPU, a monitor, and a printer.
You can in this case create a pack and add other products from your catalog to this pack. To do this, check “Pack”. A simple form will appear, with a button. Start typing in the text field to filter through your existing products, and choose the one product to add to the pack. Select it, choose the quantity, and click on the green button to validate your choice.
You can add as many products as you would like to the pack.
You can remove a product from the pack simply by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
Tip: Packs allow the site administrator to simplify preparing orders. They also allow customers to take advantage of special prices and offers.
Create a Downloadable Product
Check the box “Is this a downloadable product?” if you sell downloadable goods, such as mp3s or PDF documents. A form appears:
- Choose the file that you’re making available to your customers by clicking “Upload a File” then find and select it on your computer.
- Filename. Choose a name for your file.
- Number of downloads. Indicate how many times this file can be downloaded after a customer purchases it.
- Expiration Date. Indicate the date after which the file will no longer be available for sale. When filling out this file, remember to write in the date as YYYY-MM-DD.
- Number of Days. Once your customer has bought the file from your store, you can limit the number of days he has until he can download his file. You must fill out this field in order to save your product.
Setting the Price of a Product
Set the price that will appear in your store by following the instructions below.
- The field “Pre-tax wholesale price” lets you instantly know your wholesale, factory price, and thus compare it to your selling price in order to easily calculate your profit.
- In the field “ Pre-tax retail price,” enter the price of your product before taxes.
- In the field "Tax rule", enter the tax applicable to the product. Choose between the different rates.
To set the tax rates, check out the Taxes section on page 86.
- The field “Retail Price with tax” will display the price of the product with taxes included. You can edit the value, and it will automatically update the "Pre-tax retail price" field according to the tax rule that you chose.
- The field "Unit price with tax" enables to conform to some legislations that require products to be displayed with their unit price.
For instance, if you are selling a pack of 6 cans of soda, then you should fill this field with the price per can, and indicate "can" in the second field. The description on the same line will update accordingly. The "per" field can take any con, the most frequent ones being "liter", "fl oz", "pound", "kilogram", "gallon", etc.
To show that your product is on sale, check the box labeled “Display “on sale” icon on product page and text on product listing.” A logo will appear under the product’s file You can modify this logo by changing the following file: themes/prestashop/img/onsale_fr.gif
The final retail price, including the discount taken, will update as you type.
Note: You can fill out the field “retail price with tax” and choose the rate of tax to apply and the field will automatically calculate the pre-tax retail price. The opposite operation is also available.
This section enables you to manage the availability of your products.
- The "Initial stock" field represents the number of products available. If at this point you have already organized your products attributes and variations (i.e. colors, sizes, etc.), this field will represent all of the quantities of these variations.
- The "Minimum quantity" field is the minimal number of item that the customer can buy. If set to 1, there is no minimal quantity.
- The "Additional shipping cost" enables you to add per-product shipping cost to the final order.
- The “Displayed text when in-stock” field enables you to display a message to your visitors when your product is in stock. It reassures them that your shop can immediately send them the product by showing for example the words “Item available.”
- On the contrary, if the item is not in stock, you can choose to allow orders or not using the the "When out of stock" selector.
If you do allow orders, then you can display a message to your visitors using the "Displayed text when allowed to be back-ordered" field.
You can also configure the general settings applied to all of your products. The default option is to deny orders, but this can be modified under the “Preferences” or “Products” tabs, discussed further in the Product Configuration section.
Default Category and Catalog Display
The default category will be used when an article is filed under several categories.
This serves mainly to clarify which category to use in case your customer arrives at your site from a search engine. The name of the category will appear in the product’s URL. For instance, "telephone" can appear under the category of "brand" (Apple, Samsung, Nokia, etc.) and also under the category of "characteristic" (smartphone, flip-phone, etc.).
Listing Your Product
To improve your product listing as well as increase your store’s visibility we suggest that you carefully fill out the various SEO fields : meta titles, meta descriptions, and keywords and friendly URLs.
To access this information click on the sentence below:
The following fields are shown:
These fields allow you to directly optimize your catalog’s visibility on search engines
- “Meta title” is the title that will appear on the search engines when a request is made by a customer
- “Meta description” is a presentation of the product in just a few lines, intended to capture a customer’s interest. It will appear in search results
- “Meta keywords” are keywords that you must define in order to have your site referenced by search engines. You can enter several of them, separated by commas, as well as expressions, which must be indicated in quotation marks.
- The “Friendly URL” enables you to rewrite the addresses of your categories as you wish. For example, instead of having an address such as
you can have:
In this case, all you would need to do is indicate in the “Friendly URL” field the words that you wish to see appear instead of “name-of-the-category” separated by dashes.
Adding a Product Description
There are two boxes dedicated to filling out a description. The first box enables you to write a short description that will appear in search engines. This field is limited to 400 characters. In the second box, you can write a full description of your product, which will appear directly on your online store. The text editor offers a wide range of options for creating visually attractive descriptions (font, size, text color, etc.).
In the “tags” field, add some terms and keywords that will help your customers easily find what they are looking for.
The “accessories” field gives you the option of choosing relevant products to associate with this product. To suggest a product to your customers, type in the first letters of the product in question, select it, and then click on the green button to the right of the field.
Once you have filled out all this information save your work by clicking on “Save,” after which you will be sent to your catalog’s home page or by clicking on “Save and Stay” to continue working on your product’s presentation When you have saved your work with “save and stay”, some new options will be displayed such as the follwing tabs: “3 Combinations”, “4 Features”, “5 Customization”, “6 Discounts”, “7 Attachments.”
Configuring the Product Image
The second tab, "2 Images", is for including photos on your product page.
- To add one or more images to your product click the “Browse” button, then select a photo from your computer to upload.
- Write a file name in the “Caption” field once you have uploaded the image.
This is the name that search engines will use to reference your product. You must thus give it a name that corresponds to the product description. This way, your product will appear with ease in search engine results.
- Check the box that says “Cover” if you want this uploaded image to be used as the default image, and appear automatically on the product page of your shop.
Once you have uploaded several images, you can choose to modify the image order by clicking on the arrows in the “position” column and define a different cover image by clicking on the icons under the column “cover image” (see bottom of the screenshot).
Configure Product Attributes
You can add multiple attributes to your products. An attribute is a product variation. For example, the same product can have a different color or a different size. In PrestaShop, we call that a color or size attribute.
To access this feature you must click on the “Attributes and Groups” tab under "Catalog".
Managing attributes and varieties
To add a group of attributes, or in other words to add a group of variation possibilities (colors, capacity material, etc.), click on “Add attributes group”, fill out the form that appears and save.
To add a choice to the group of attributes that you just created, you must create a specific variation.
Select the attribute group then click on “Add attribute” and fill out the form that appears.