Take the time to survey the Dashboard – that is, the first page you see when logging into your back-office. Not only does it present you with a summary of everything you need to know about your shop at any given time, along with quick links to the main action page, but as a first-timer in PrestaShop, it also gives you tips about what you should have a look at.
The top bar
At the top of the back-office is a black bar containing a handful of links:
- (name of your shop). From any page, takes you back to your Dashboard.
- Cart icon. Opens a tooltip presenting the new orders since you clicked that icon. A red tooltip indicates the number of new orders. From there on, you can either display one of the new orders, or go to the list of orders.
- People icon. Opens a tooltip presenting the last registered customers. A red tooltip indicates the number of new customers. From there on, you can either display one of the new customers, or go to the list of customers.
- Speech bubbles icon. Opens a tooltip presenting the last customer service message. A red tooltip indicates the number of new messages. From there on, you can either display one of the new messages, or go to the list of messages.
- Trophy cup icon. New in 1.5.4. Opens a tooltip presenting your progress as a merchant. A red tooltip indicates the number of new items. From there on, you can reach the full page of badges and points, from the "Merchant Expertise" module.
- Search field with "Everywhere" dropdown list. Allows you to search within the content of your shop – even within your administration page, if you can't remember where an option is set.
- Quick Access. This is the quick links menu, presenting the most useful links, as set in the "Quick Access" page under the "Administration" menu.
- Welcome, (your name). A simple reminder of which account you are currently logged-in with.
- "My Preferences" link. Takes you to your account's preferences page, where you can set some personal options (for instance, the back-office language or your password).
- "Logout" link. Logs you out of the current user account.
- "View My Shop" link. Opens a new browser tab with your shop's front-end.
All along your daily activities administrating your shop, you will have to browse through the many pages and options of the back-office.
Where to find it
Defines your brand, most notably on search engines (Google, Yahoo!, Bing...).
"Preferences" menu, "Store Contacts" page, then in the "Contact details" section, click the shop name.
Defines your brand, visually and on your invoices.
"Preferences" menu, "Themes" page, "Appearance" section, then change the various default images to your logo.
Default shop currency
The currency in which you want to set the default price for your products.
"Localization" menu, "Localization" page, "Configuration" section.
Customer service info
Displayed in the front-office, right column.
"Block contact" module.
Company info /
Displayed in the front-office, footer.
"Block contact infos" module.
Image displayed in front-office, left column.
"Block advertising" module.
The slider is usually placed front and center of the homepage, and therefore is a strong visual signature for your shop and products.
"Image slider for your homepage" module.
The content of static pages, such as "About Us", "Delivery", "Legal Notice", "Terms and Conditions", and "Secure Payment". Some of them have default content, which you should adapt to your business; some others are empty, and you should paste your own text.
"Preferences" menu, "CMS" page, then edit each page at will.