- Meta title. The title that will appear on the search engines when a request is made by a customer
- Meta description. A presentation of your category in just a few lines, intended to capture a customer's interest. This will appear in search results
- Meta Keywords. Keywords that you must define in order to have your site referenced by search engines. You can enter several of them, separated by commas, as well as expressions, which must be indicated in quotation marks.
- Friendly URL. Enables you to rewrite the addresses of your categories as you wish.
For example, instead of having an address such as
, you can have :
In this case, all you would need to do is indicate in the field marked "Friendly URL" the words that you wish to see appear instead of "name-of-the-category" separated by dashes.
- Group access. Restricts select categories and products to certain shoppers. To see these categories, your shoppers must belong to a user group. Check out the "Groups" page in the "Customers" tab for more information.
Once you have finished configuring your category, you must save it, and you are ready to fill it with products.
Managing and Adding Products in the Catalog
You can manage the products in your shop using the "Products" page, in the "Catalog" menu. You can see the existing products and few details, and
You can add new products by clicking on "Add new". A form will appearappears, with several tabs in the left column.
When you create a new product, the product page features a single button three buttons at the top: "Back to list". It simply takes you back to the list of product, without saving any change you have made in any of the tab from this page.
As soon as you give the product a name, two more buttons appear:
- Save. This saves any change you have made to any of the data for the current product, and takes you back to the product list.
- Save and stay. This saves any change you have made to any of the data for the current product, and keeps you on the current tab. This is particularly useful when you want to switch tabs without losing your changes to the current tab, or seeing your changes get applied immediately.
- Back to list. It simply takes you back to the list of product, without saving any change you have made in any of the tab from this page.
As soon as you save your product, using either the "Save" or the "Save and stay" button, more buttons appear:
- Status. If you do not want this product to be immediately available or visible to your customers, check the radio button that says "Disabled".
- Visibility. You can further choose to have the product available through different channels:
- Everywhere. Customers can get to the product by browsing the catalog, search for the product's name, or directly using its URL.
- Catalog. Customers can get to the product by browsing the catalog or directly using its URL.
- Search. Customers can get to the product by searching for its name or directly using its URL.
- Nowhere. Customers can only get to the product using its URL. They won't find it by browsing through the catalog or by searching for its name. This is great for creating private products, that only a few trusted visitors can access, even temporarily (you can change this setting at any time).
- Options. A couple of specific options.
- available for order. If you uncheck this box, customers will not be able to add this product to their cart. This makes it more like a single-product Catalog mode (in comparison with the "Catalog mode" preference).
- show price. If the "available for order" option above is unchecked, you can either choose to display the product's price nevertheless (even though visitors won't be able to buy it), or choose to not display it.
- online only (not sold in store). If your business does have brick-and-mortar stores, this option will prove invaluable when a product is only sold online, not in store – this prevents customers from checking a product price online, then come to your store hoping to buy it directly, and thus avoid shipping cost.
- Condition. Not all shop sell new product. This option enables you to indicate the condition of the product:
- New. The product is brand new, sealed in its original packaging.
- Used. The product has been sold at least once before, and probably used by someone else (second hand). It should come in its original packaging, which might be closed with tape.
- Refurbished. The product has been returned for various reasons ("scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit"). Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_%28electronics%29.
Now that these details are set in stone, you can start adding a description for your product.
Describing your product well is essential, both for the customer (the more information, the better) and search engines (it will help your shop appear in more search requests).These
The two fields are here to fill out your product's description.description fields serve different purposes:
- The first field enables you to write a short description that will appear in search engines and in the category description for your product. This field is limited to 400 characters.
- The second field
- enables you
- to write a full description of your product, which will appear directly on the product page. The text editor offers a wide range of options for creating visually attractive descriptions (font, size, text color, etc.).
While the second field has no limits, there is such thing as too much content: strive to provide the essential information in a compelling way, and your product should be good to go.
In the "tags" field, add some terms and keywords that will help your customers easily find what they are looking for.
PrestaShop 1.4 enabled you to indicate the product manufacturer right on this page. In version 1.5, this setting is to be found in the "Associations" tab on the left. Same for the "Default category" field, the categories associations, and the "Accessories" field.
Version 1.4 also enabled you to indicate the size and weight of the final package. In version 1.5, these settings are to be found in the "Shipping" tab on the left.
The "Location" field of version 1.4" can be found in the optional "Warehouses" tab on the left, which is only available if you have enabled Advanced Stock Management ("Preferences" tab, "Products" page, "Products stock" section).
The "accessories" field gives you the option of choosing relevant products to associate with this product. To suggest a product to your customers, type in the first letters of the product in question, select it, and then click on the green button to the right of the field.
Once you have filled out all this information, save your work, after which you will be sent to your list of products. If you save by clicking on "Save and Stay", you will be able to continue working on your product's presentation.
- Shop (when in a multishop context).
A checkbox at the bottom enables you to update the settings for all products. If the checkbox remains unchecked, then your settings changes only apply to the current product.
To access the product's SEO information, open the "SEO" tab on the left.
The following fields appear:These fields fields in this page enable you to directly optimize your catalog's visibility on search engines.
- Meta title. This is the most important field, as the title that will appear on all search engines. Be very factual: you must convince the search engine user to click your link, not one from another site. Make sure the title is unique to this product within your site.
- Good example: "Levi's 501® Original Jeans - Tidal Blue - Original Fit".
- Bad example: "Item #02769869B bestseller".
- Meta description. A presentation of the product in just a couple lines (less than 155 characters), intended to capture a customer's interest. This will appear in results for some search engines, depending on the search request: some search engine might choose to display the searched keywords directly in the context of the page content. Make sure the description is unique to this product within your site.
- Meta keywords. You can enter several of them, separated by commas, as well as expressions, which must be indicated in quotation marks. For instance: trousers, denims, "blue jeans", jeans.
- Friendly URL. This is another extremely important field. It enables you to rewrite the web addresses of your products as you wish. For example, instead of having an address such as
you can have:
In this case, all you would need to do is indicate in the "Friendly URL" field the words that you wish to see appear instead of "name-of-the-category" separated by dashes.
The "Generate" button makes it easy to produce a proper friendly URL based on the product name. Once generated, you can edit the URL produced if necessary.
You will often sell the same product under different versions: same overall name, but they might differ by their color, their capacity, their screen size, and other attributes. Most of the times, these attributes come together: you could have the red version of the product available with either 1 Gb capacity or 2 Gb, or with 12'' screen or a 15'' screen. This is why PrestaShop calls these versions "combinations": your stock of product can be made of several variations of one product, which in effect are simply its attributes combined in specific ways.
How they are combined is up to you, and PrestaShop gives you two ways to achieve this.
You cannot create combinations if you do not already have product attributes properly set in PrestaShop.
Attributes creation is done in "Attributes and Values" page from the "Catalog" menu, and is explained in details in the next chapter, "A Look Inside the Catalog".
Combination quantities are managed from the "Quantities" tab on the left, which is a new feature of PrestaShop 1.5.
When creating a virtual product, you can now upload a different file for each combination. In PrestaShop 1.4, you had to pack all combinations into a single Zip file, and have the customers download all combinations.
How they are combined is up to you, and PrestaShop gives you two ways to achieve this.
This method helps you create combinations one after the other, so it is to be reserved to either products with few combinations, or products with very specific combinations that can't be created reliably using the automatic method (see next section).
- Click on the "New Combination" button, in the top right of the page. A form will appear:
- Attribute-value pair.
- From the drop-down menu choose a group of attributes, such as "Color" for example
- Choose the attribute value that you would like to include, for example "Blue".
- Click on the "Add" button and it will appear in the selector.
You can add as many attribute-value pairs as necessary to one combination.
You can only add one pair per type of attribute to one combination: it is impossible to have both "Color: Blue" and "Color: Red" in your pairs; if this is necessary, you will have to create new attributes, for instance "Primary color" and "Secondary color".
You can delete an attribute-value pair by selecting it and clicking on the "Delete" button.
- Reference, EAN13 & UPC.
- If necessary, indicate the combination's reference, EAN13 and/or UPC numbers into each field, as if you were creating a brand new product in PrestaShop. These numbers may be used by your warehouse or your carrier, so make sure to fill these fields, they are often essential to your business.
- Impact on original product. If the combination is supposed to have an impact on the product's price/weight/unit price, choose the appropriate dropdown menu, select "Increase" or "Reduction" depending on the context, and fill the field that appears with the value of that impact.
- Wholesale price. This field is useful is if the default original price of the product changes simply bybecause this is a combination.
- Minimum quantity. You might prefer this combination to only be sold in bulk. Use this field set the number of items to be sold in bulk.
- Available date. If this is a temporary or promotional product combination, you can indicate the date at which this product should not be available for sale anymore.
- Images. The images that are linked to the whole product (as uploaded using the form in the "Images" tab on the left) are displayed. Check the box for the images that best represent this combination.
- Default. Check this box if you want the current combination to actually be the main product.
Clicking the "Product combinations generator" will take takes you to the complete form.
Before adding a feature to a product, you must create it for general use in your shop. You either go to the "Features" page of the "Catalog" tab, or directly click on the "Add a new feature product" button. A warning will appear, "You will lose all unsaved modifications, do you want to proceed?" – make sure all your changes are saved before validating.
By default, you have to manage the current product's quantities by hand, for each variation, from this page. With the stock management feature activated, you can rely on PrestaShop's stock management feature to handle this.
Once the checkbox has been clicked, an option becomes available: "Available quantities for current product and its combinations are based on stock in the warehouses". Click it, and you cannot edit the current product's quantities from the "Quantities" page: it has new become dependent of your stock management.
You At the bottom of the page, you can set the exact behavior of PrestaShop depending on the availability of the current product.
You cannot use this feature if you do not already have at least one supplier registered in your shop. Suppliers are created from the "Suppliers" page, under the "Catalog" tabmenu.
The complete supplier registration process in explained in details in the next chapter of this guide, "A Look Inside the Catalog".
For each warehouse, you can set which combination of the current product is stored, and a text field enables you to indicate precisely where it is stored in that warehouse. You can write anything in that field: "Aisle 5", "Next to the Radiohead albums", "A07 E08 H14", or anything that helps you or your packing packaging team to find the product as precisely as possible.
Setting Account Numbers
The "Accounting" tab on the left is a new feature from PrestaShop 1.5. It simply enables you to set a default accounting number for each geographical zone. This information is in turn used when you do an accounting export
Creating a Pack of Products
- Go to the "Product" page, under the "Catalog" tab.
- Click the "Add New" button.
- From the "Information" tab on the left, change the product type to "Pack".
A new tab will appear appears on the left, titled "Pack", to which you will be are redirected as soon as you change the product type. This tab only features two text fields and a button: