Finally, the top of the product list presents three four buttons:
- Add New: creates new product. Creates a new product.
- Export: downloads . Downloads a CSV file of all the products in your catalog.Refresh List: reloads
- Import. Sends you to the CSV Import option page, from where your can import your CSV files.
- Refresh List. Reloads the list of products to display the latest changes.
The Product Creation Page Global Buttons
You can add new products by clicking on "Add new". A form appears, with several tabs in the left column and two buttons at the top: "Back to list" and "Help".As soon as you give your new product a name
The Product Creation Page Global Buttons
By default, the product creation page adds has two buttons that you will find on most the administration pages: "SaveRecommended modules" and "Save and stayHelp".
At the bottom of the each page are three buttons:
- Save. This saves any change you have made to any of the data for the current product, and takes you back to the product list.
- Save and stay. This saves any change you have made to any of the data for the current product, and keeps you on the current tab. This is particularly useful when you want to switch tabs without losing your changes to the current tab, or in order to see your changes get applied immediately.
- Back to listCancel. It simply takes you back to the list of product, without saving any change you have made in any of the tab from this page.
- Help. Opens a pop-up window containing the PrestaShop documentation for the current page.
As soon as you save give your product, using either new product a name and click on the "Save " or the "Save and stay" button at the bottom, more buttons appear in at the top of the product page:
- Delete this product. Removes all the data for the current product, including its images, combinations, features, etcPreview. Displays the front-page page of your product. This is very handy, as it works even if the product is disabled ("Information" tab).
Duplicate. Creates an exact copy of the current product. This is very useful when you'd rather use the current product's data as a template for another new product, and not have to create every data of the new product by hand. For instance, two products might be very different, but could share the same associations, carriers or supplier settings.
Note title Don't over-duplicate!
If you need to create different versions of the same product, because of its variety of colors, capacity, size, etc., then you should create product combination for the current product rather than duplicating it X times. See the "Combinations" tab on the left, which is explained in the "Adding Product Combinations" section of this chapter.
- Preview. Displays the front-page page of your product. This is very handy, as it works even if the product is disabled ("Information" tab).
- Product sales. Redirects you to the "Product detail" page of the statistics dashboard ("Stats" menu), which gives you a graphic of both the visits to this product's page, and also its sales.
- Delete this product. Removes all the data for the current product, including its images, combinations, features, etc.
Filling out the Product
The first tab contains the basic information about the product.
There are many more product-related options in the "Products" page from the "Preferences" menu:
You should really check that these global settings are set as you wish.
You begin with four text fields:
Name. The first thing to complete is the product name, which will appear in the search engine results. Next to the field you will find a language code, which enables you to choose the language into which you wish to edit or create the name.
You must give the product a name in at least the default language before you can save it. You won't be able to save until it has a name – and many other tabs require the product to be saved in order to be accessible.
Make sure to translate each field in every language that your shop supports. In order to do that, click on the language code next to the field, and choose the language in which you wish to edit the text.
- Reference. This is your own internal reference. It might be a number, or its reference from the storage location or its supplier, or anything that makes it unique. Optional.
- EAN13 or JAN. These are barcode numbers, which are used worldwide in order to identify products. You can use either an EAN13 or a JAN number.
- An EAN13 is the product's 13-digit international article number. Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Article_Number_%28EAN%29.
- A JAN is specific to Japan, but is compatible with the international EAN. Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Article_Number.
- UPC. A 12-digit barcode, more widely used in North America, UK, Australia and New-Zealand. Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code.
On the right side are Then come four options:
- Status. If you do not want this product to be immediately available or visible to your customers, switch the option to "Disabled".
- Visibility. You can further choose to have the product available through different channels:
- Everywhere. Customers can get to the product by browsing the catalog, search for the product's name, or directly using its URL.
- Catalog. Customers can get to the product by browsing the catalog or directly using its URL.
- Search. Customers can get to the product by searching for its name or directly using its URL.
- Nowhere. Customers can only get to the product using its URL. They won't find it by browsing through the catalog or by searching for its name. This is great for creating private products, that only a few trusted visitors can access, even temporarily (you can change this setting at any time).
- Options. A couple of specific options.
- Available for order. If you uncheck this box, customers will not be able to add this product to their cart. This makes it more like a single-product Catalog mode (in comparison with the "Catalog mode" preference).
- Show price. If the "available for order" option above is unchecked, you can either choose to display the product's price nevertheless (even though visitors won't be able to buy it), or choose to not display it.
- Online only (not sold in store). If your business does have brick-and-mortar stores, this option will prove invaluable when a product is only sold online, not in store – this prevents customers from checking a product price online, then come to your store hoping to buy it directly, and thus avoid shipping cost.
- Condition. Not all shop shops sell new product. This option enables you to indicate the condition of the product:
- New. The product is brand new, sealed in its original packaging.
- Used. The product has been sold at least once before, and probably used by someone else (second hand). It should come in its original packaging, which might be closed with tape.
- Refurbished. The product has been returned for various reasons ("scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit"). Read more on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_%28electronics%29.
- The "Short description" field enables you to write a short description that will appear in search engines and in the category description for your product.
This field is limited to 400 characters by default: if you exceed that limit, PrestaShop will warn you with a message in red below the field. You can change that limit in the "Products" preference page, where you will find the "Max size of short description" option.
- The "Description" field enables you to write a full description of your product, which will appear directly on the product page. The text editor offers a wide range of options for creating visually attractive descriptions (font, size, text color, etc.).
While the second field has no limits, there is such thing as too much content: strive to provide the essential information in a compelling way, and your product should be good to go.
In the "tagsTags" field, add some terms and keywords that will help your customers easily find what they are looking for. They are displayed on the store in the "Tags" block. If you do not want the tag block displayed, simply disable the "Tags block" module (in the "Modules" page).
- For. This enables you to be very specific about the various groups to which this price applies, including currencies, countries and even your customer groups (which we'll discuss in a later chapter).
- Customer. You can choose to be even more specific and directly set at who the discount you are creating is targeted. Start typing the first letters of the clients' first name or last name, and select the ones you want.
- Combination. You can choose to have this specific price apply to all of the product's combinations, or only one. If you wish to apply to more than one combination but not all of them, you will have to create a specific price for each combination.
- Available from/to. Here you can define a range of dates between which the discount price is active. Clicking each selector will open a calendar, simplifying the process.
- Starting at  unit. Contains the value from which the discount should be applied. Default is "1", which means any quantity.
- Product price (VAT tax excl.). This is where you can set an arbitrary price, independent of calculations and regular prices. Keep this field at "0" to use the default price.
Leave base price. Check this box to reset the "Product price" field and prevent yourself from editing it.
- Apply a discount of. The discount that will be applied once the client has chosen a quantity of product. Use the selector to set the type of discount (either a specific amount in the default currency, or a percentage of the default price).
- Meta title. This is the most important field, as the title that will appear on all search engines. Be very factual: you must convince the search engine user to click your link, not one from another site. Make sure the title is unique to this product within your site.
- Good example: "Levi's 501® Original Jeans - Tidal Blue - Original Fit".
- Bad example: "Item #02769869B bestseller".
- Meta description. A presentation of the product in just a couple lines (ideally, less than 155 characters), intended to capture a customer's interest. This will appear in results for some search engines, depending on the search request: some search engine might choose to display the searched keywords directly in the context of the page content. Make sure the description is unique to this product within your site.
- Meta keywords. You can enter several of them, separated by commas, as well as expressions, which must be indicated in quotation marks. For instance: trousers, denims, "blue jeans", jeans.
- Friendly URL. This is another extremely important field. It enables you to rewrite the web addresses of your products as you wish. For example, instead of having an address such as
you can have:
All you need to do is indicate in the "Friendly URL" field the words that you wish to see appear instead of the default name, separated by dashes.
The "Generate" button makes it easy to produce a proper friendly URL based on the product name. Once generated, you can edit the URL produced if necessary.
The "Shipping" tab on the left enables you to give some precious details about your product's package:
- WidthPackage width, Heightheight, Depth depth & Weightweight. You should strive to fill each field, because knowing the exact size and weight of a package is not only useful to you, but PrestaShop can also direct specific sizes/weights to specific carriers automatically, based on these settings. Once PrestaShop (or the customer) has selected a carrier, the order's final price will appear to the customer.
- Additional shipping costs. This can prove very useful to you, for instance for product that are particularly tricky to package, or really heavy.
- Carriers. You can choose to have the current product only be shipped by one specific carrier. You can even choose two or three: press the Shift key while clicking on a carrier name to add it to the selection.
You will often sell the same product under different versions: they share the same overall name, but they might differ by their color, their capacity, their screen size, and other attributes. Most of the time, these attributes come together: you could have the red version of the product available with either 1 Gb capacity or 2 Gb, or with 12'' screen or a 15'' screen. This is why PrestaShop calls these versions "combinations": your stock of product products can be made of several variations of one product, which in effect are simply its attributes combined in specific ways.
You cannot create combinations if you do not already have product attributes properly set in PrestaShop.
Attributes creation is done in the "Product Attributes and Values" page from the "Catalog" menu, and is explained in details in the chapter of the same name of this guide.
Combination quantities are managed from the "Quantities" tab on the left, which is a feature that was introduced with PrestaShop 1.5.
When creating a virtual product (see further below), you can now upload a different file for each combination. In PrestaShop 1.4, you had to pack all combinations into a single Zip file, and have the customers download all combinations.
How they your product attributes are combined into combinations is up to you, and PrestaShop gives you two ways methods to achieve this.
Adding a new variation to your product takes just a few steps. Click on the "New Combination" button , in at the top bottom of the page, next to the "Save" buttonbuttons. A form will appearappears:
- Attribute-value pair.
- From the drop-down menu, choose a group of attributes, such as "Color" for example. The content of the "Value" dropdown list updates accordingly.
- Choose the attribute value that you would like to include, for example "Blue".
- Click on the "Add" button and it will appear in the selector.
You can add as many attribute-value pairs as necessary to one combination.
You can only add one pair per attribute to one combination: it is impossible to have both "Color: Blue" and "Color: Red" in your pairs; if this is necessary, you will have to create new attributes, for instance "Primary color" and "Secondary color".
You can delete an attribute-value pair by selecting it and clicking on the "Delete" button.
- Reference, EAN13 & UPC.
- If necessary, indicate the combination's reference, EAN13 and/or UPC numbers into each field, as if you were creating a brand new product in PrestaShop. These numbers may be used by your warehouse or your carrier, so make sure to fill these fields, they are often essential to your business.
- Wholesale price. This field is useful if the original price of the product changes simply because this is a combination.
- Impact on price/weight/unit price. If the combination is supposed to have an impact on the product's original price/weight/unit price, choose the appropriate dropdown menu, select "Increase" or "Reduction" depending on the context, and fill the field that appears with the value of that impact.
- Ecotax. The specific ecotax for this combination (if the ecotax option is enabled).
- Minimum quantity. You might prefer this combination to only be sold in bulk. Use this field to set the number of items to be sold in bulk.
- Available date. If this is a temporary or promotional product combination, you can indicate the date at which this product should not be available for sale anymore.
- Image. The images that are linked to the original product (as uploaded using the form in the "Images" tab on the left) are displayed. Check the box for the images that best represent this combination.
- Default. Check this box if you want the current combination to actually be the main product.
A warning window might appear, saying "You will lose all unsaved modifications, are . Are you sure that you'd like to proceed?" This means your product already had some combinations created. If you agree to this, this will delete the combinations that have not yet been saved. Be careful, and always save your work before using the generator!
On the right side of this page are your groups of attributes and their values. Select the varieties by clicking on their name (if your combination combines more than one attribute, hold the Ctrl key while clicking), then click on "Add".
For example, you might select the "Blue", "Green" and "32 Go" attributesS, M, L" attributes.
To remove an existing attribute selection, simply select their values and click on "Delete".
Once the varieties have been selected, insert the you can edit the impact on product price and on product weight for each selection. You do not have to: they might simply be the same price and weight.
Insert the quantity of each product in the "QuantityDefault quantity" field at the topbottom. Be careful, it needs to be the same for every combination. For instance, 200 products in each combination = 2 colors * 1 disk size * 200 = 400 products in all.
You may add a default reference for this combination if it serves your administrative needs.
Click the "Generate the these combinations" button, and tables will appear below for each combination, enabling you to edit their possible specific pricesPrestaShop sends you back to the "Combinations" tab, with all the generated combinations. If you need to, you can now edit them one by one.
As you can see, the combination generator helps you save a lot of time when you have numerous attributes to assemble, such as sizes and materials. It automatically creates all of the possible combinations, which will then appear under the product's "Combinations" tab (if the theme supports it).
If you do not want to keep all generated combinations or if they are in fact not all exactly the same (different references, prices, available dates...), you can delete (trashcan icon) or modify them (file icon). The yellow star icon turns the selected combination into the default one.
Product quantities are managed in a single pagetab. The way it works is quite easy: the page presents you with a table of all the combinations for the current product (if there are no combinations, the table simply has a single row). It is up to you to set the initial stock for all the combinations. PrestaShop will use this to determine when a product is soon out-of-stock or unavailable anymore.
Stock Management Options
The quantities page tab supports the advanced stock management featuresfeature, if activated. This means that if the current product's combinations are distributed among several storage locations, PrestaShop is able to handle the exact location of each combination, even with within a given warehouse.
By default, you have to manage the current product's quantities by hand, for each combination, from this page. With the advanced stock management feature activated, you can rely on PrestaShop's stock management feature to handle this.
To use advanced stock management for the current product, checking the box for "I want to use the advanced stock management system for this product". Once this is done, an option becomes available: "Available quantities for current product and its combinations are based on warehouse stock in the warehouses". Click it, and you cannot edit the current product's quantities from the "Quantities" page anymore: it has new become dependent of your stock management.
When out of stock
The "When out of stock" option enables you to set PrestaShop behavior when the product is out of stock: deny orders (the product is not available for sale anymore) or allow order (in essence, you are doing pre-sales). The third and default option simple uses the global default setting.
At the bottom of the page, you can set the exact behavior of PrestaShop depending on the availability of the current product.
- Click the "Add files" button and then select at least one image file from your computer to upload. You can select as many images as necessary by keeping the Ctrl-key pressed while selecting files. Validate your selection, and the upload starts automatically.
The default maximal size for an image file is set by PrestaShop according to your server's PHP settings. This size can be lowered in the "Images" preference page, "Product images" section.
- The uploaded images appear in a table below the button. If you have more than one image, you can choose which image is to be used as the default/cover image by clicking on the red "no entry" button and turn it into a checkmark. That cover image will also appear automatically on the product page of your shop.
You can click on a thumbnail to display the image in full size.
The "Legend" field enables you to add a short descriptive text for the images – which can be very good for your search engine optimization.
Once you have uploaded all your product images, you can modify the image order by drag-and-dropping each table row when the mouse cursor changes to a "movable" cursor.
Configuring Product Features
The tab named "Features" tab is where you specify your products' features (i.e. weight, material, country of origin, etc.).
Be aware that contrary to the combinations, these values do not change, and are valid for the general product (meaning: all your combinations will share these same features).
Creating a feature
Before adding a feature to a product, you must create it for general use in your shop. You either go to the "Features" page of the "Catalog" menu, or directly click on the "Add a new feature" button. A warning will appear, "You will lose all unsaved modifications, do you want . Are you sure that you'd like to proceed?" – make sure all your changes are saved before validating.
Let's look at how to configure this function. In the "Customization" tab on the left, you can indicate what type of context (file and/or text) can be personalized.
- File Fieldsfields. Puts the indicated number of file upload buttons on the order page. Each button accepts only one file, so put as many field as you allow your customers to upload.
- Text Fieldsfields. Puts the indicated number of text fields on the order page. You can add as many text fields as necessary.
Example: If you allow your customer to use a 5-line text with each line limited to 14 characters, you can add 5 fields and indicate the number of allowed characters in the field's label. You cannot limit the number of characters in the string.
Adding an attachment is really quick:
- Fill out the file name of your attachment (it doesn't have to be the same as the original file name).
- Give it a description. This will help you distinguish between your uploaded files with certainty.
- Click on "Choose a file" to select a file on your computer to upload. Click on "Upload attachment file". The attachment is uploaded, and the page reloads, with the attachment appearing in the "As soon as you choose the file, PrestaShop uploads it, then displays it in the list
- The attachment appears in the "Available attachments" list: you have to select it then click on the "Add" to move it to the "Attachments for this product" selectorlist.
- Save your product with either the "Save" button or the "Save and stay" one.
The process to create a pack is similar to the one for creating a regular product:
- Go to the "ProductProducts" page, under the "Catalog" menu.
- Click the "Add New" button.
- From the "Information" tab on the left, change the product type to "Pack".
The process to do this is similar to the one for creating a simple product:
- Go to the "ProductProducts" page, under the "Catalog" menu.
- Click the "Add New" button.
- From the "Information" tab on the left, change the product type to "Virtual Product".
- If not, leave it at that: you are selling a service, and nothing needs to be downloaded.
- If yes, click the "Yes" radio buttonoption.
When you click "Yes", PrestaShop opens a new form within the tab, from which you can upload the file you intend to sell:
- Upload a file. Filename. The name of the file. This field is automatically filled after the file has been uploaded. It is not recommended to change it to another value.
- File. Click the "Browse" button to find the file on your hard drive. As soon as you have selected a file, the upload begins.
The maximum file-upload size setting depends on your server's settings, and cannot be increased from PrestaShop.
If you have access to your server's
php.inifile, these are the values you should change:
upload_max_filesize = 20M
post_max_size = 20M
If you do not have access to the
php.inifile, contact your web host about this.
You should compress your file in zip format, in order to avoid the browser misinterpreting
.jpgfile formats. Browsers automatically download zip files for the customer, no question asked.
If you are selling a high resolution image, uploading it using this form does not prevent you from uploading its thumbnail in the "Images" tab on the left.
- Filename. The name of the file. This field is automatically filled after the file has been uploaded. It is not recommended to change it to another value.
- Number of allowed downloads. You can set the number of time the file can be downloaded once the customer has bought it. You might prefer to limit this to 1, or 5. If you want to keep it unlimited, set the text field to 0.
- Expiration date. Virtual files can be of promotional nature, or lose their selling value after a certain date. If so, you can set the expiry date after which the product will not be available on your shop anymore. Leave it blank if there is no expiry date.
- Number of days. You can set the number of days after which the download link becomes non-functioning. If there is no limit, set the text field to 0.