Table of content
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install PrestaShop?
See the "Getting Started" guide.
Which are the data from my shop that the PrestaShop company has access to?
What are the PrestaShop license restrictions, if any?
PrestaShop is issued under the Open Software License (OSL) v. 3.0.
How can I modify the default theme or build a new theme?
See the Designer Guide.
How do I import product data from another application?
See the documentation on the Import tool.
How do I allow my server to generate friendly URLs?
See the documentation on the SEO & URLs preferences sub-tab, mainly the "URLs Setup" section; and the documentation on the Generators tools sub-tab, mainly the ".htaccess file generation" section.
How do I translate PrestaShop into my language?
How do I obtain process payment modules to be used with PrestaShop?
You can obtain all payments modules on PrestaShop's Add-Ons site.
Many payments modules for several banks and payments process are available. You will be able to accept credit card payments and payments in several times.
How do I add or change a currency?
How do I activate the GD Library?
Here is the standard Windows instructions are:
- In the root directory of your PHP folder, open the
- Uncomment the
extension=php_gd2.dllline (about half-way through the file, in the middle of a long list of extensions) by deleting the
;at the start of the line.
- Restart the PHP services.
How do I use PayPal with PrestaShop?
See the documentation for the "Payments" tab, mostly the "Installing a payment module" section, and the "Paypal" one (in the "Setting up a payment module" section).
How do I select which Featured Products are displayed on the Front Office homepage?
See the documentation for the "Default Category and Catalog Display" sub-tab of the "Catalog" tab.
How do I add and modify taxes in PrestaShop?
How do I upgrade to a new version of PrestaShop?
See the page on updating your version of PrestaShop.
How do modules work in PrestaShop?
See the "Modules" tab documentation.
How do I set up an RSS feed to show my links (e.g., to my blog) on the Front Office?
Install the RSS products feed module.
How do RMAs (Return Merchandise Authorizations) work in PrestaShop?
How do I edit text for "About us", "Delivery", "Legal notice" and "Conditions"?
In the back-office, navigate to "Tools" > "CMS", and select the pages you want to edit.
What should I do if PrestaShop does not send me my new password?
The request to reset the password only works if the SMTP server has been configured so that PrestaShop is able to send emails.
Two solutions present themselves to you:
- Configure the SMTP server to send emails.
- Get information for SMTP connection from your hosting provider.
- Go to your back office (either you or an administrator who can still log), "Preferences" tab, "E-Mails" subtab.
- Select the "Use my own SMTP settings." A form will appear: fill it with the information given by your host.
- Save your changes.
- Request a new password once again. You should receive it.
- Follow these steps:
- Choose a new password. In our example, "$$$rabbit$159$$$".
- Using your FTP client, open the
login.phpfile, located in your administration folder online.
At the bottom of the file, add the following line:
echo md5( PSQL( _COOKIE_KEY_ . 'newpassword' ) );
So with our example password:
echo md5( PSQL( _COOKIE_KEY_ . '$$$rabbit$159$$$' ) );
Remember to put your own new password!
- # Go to the login screen to the back-office, as if you wanted to log in, and copy the text that appears at the bottom of the page (eg.: a0ee884b507dd4624ce51968cfbb19a9)
- # Go to the PrestaShop database, for example using phpMyAdmin. In the
ps_employeetable, replace the existing value in the
passwdcolumn for the employee of which you want to change the password with the value obtained in the previous step. Save your changes.
- # You can now connect with the usual username and new password.